Sunil Rao, Global Head of Consumer Goods, Salesforce
Three ways consumer goods leaders are investing in the future
- “Amazon’s reach has swept the industry: 68% of CG leaders think that consumers are more loyal to Amazon’s Marketplace than individual brands.
- Retailers and brands are losing the battle for replenishment: Shoppers are choosing online marketplaces 47% for repeat purchases, ahead of retailers (34%) and brands themselves (20%).
- Powerful private-label brands from the likes of Tesco, Hema, Costco, Amazon, and Walmart are soaring to new heights: In 2018, Costco’s Kirkland brand earned nearly $40 billion — an 11% increase from 2017 (and more sales than Campbell Soup, Kellogg’s, and Hershey combined).”
Commerce Dept: eCommerce Sales Jump 12.4 Pct In Q1
- “The Commerce Department reported Friday (May 17) that eCommerce sales were up 12.4 percent from last year to $127.3 billion, measured in terms of non-seasonally-adjusted data.
- And eCommerce sales have doubled through the past five years, noted Seeking Alpha, reaching a recent threshold last year of more than $500 billion.
- Walmart stated that its eCommerce sales grew by 37 percent. Management said on the earnings call”
Groupon Celebrates 200 Million App Downloads
- “Planned mobile improvements in 2019 include using Groupon’s proprietary data, machine learning and AI to improve discovery, relevance and service on the platform. Mobile is also a key enabler of Groupon’s booking and voucherless initiatives that make it easier for people to use their Groupons.”