- “Levi’s deploys AI to build better relationships with its customers and optimize its profit margins. While most companies bring in engineers to scale up machine learning operations, Hendrickson said, Levi’s deviates from the norm by teaching its existing workforce how to work with data and new technology through a boot camp”
- “Mastercard’s Spending Pulse data for holiday 2020 found that while department stores’ overall sales fell 10.2 percent during the season, their eCommerce sales only rose 3.3 percent.
- Amazon enjoyed a 14.3 percent market share for all clothing and apparel sales during 2020’s third quarter versus just 9.5 percent a year earlier. By contrast, Walmart’s share of apparel fell to 7.4 percent during the same period, down from 10.5 percent a year earlier.
- 37 percent of U.S. consumers surveyed interested in direct-to-consumer sales. The No. 1 reason cited — loyalty to well-known brands”
“As cashiers across the country take precautions to limit interactions with customers in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s hard to think of a better time for the rollout of an Amazon Go vision of autonomous retail.
Standard Cognition CEO Jordan Fisher has been building towards that future for the past several years. His startup has raised over $86 million”
- “Online sales in the U.S. jumped 74% for its fiscal first quarter that ended April 30, which captured the brunt of the pandemic’s outbreak. Same-store sales rose 10% at U.S. Walmart stores on strong sales of food, health and wellness goods.
- Ken Perkins, president of research firm Retail Metrics, said he expects earnings will be down 36.6% for the 103 retailers he tracks compared to the year-ago period.”
- “According to research published by McKinsey ahead of the 2019 holiday season, 62% of shoppers planned to make their purchases online and in-store.
- Flashy new online and AR/VR shopping schemes may grab headlines. But by 2023, ecommerce is expected to account for just 21% of total retail sales, and a mere 5% of grocery sales. Although we’re all eagerly anticipating same-day drone-based delivery services, it’s clear that the experience of purchasing our favorite goods in-person isn’t going away.”
Image Credit: Getty Images