“Eight common themes that could form the core of any principle-based approach to AI ethics and governance:
• Privacy — AI systems should respect the privacy of individuals.
• Accountability — Mechanisms must be in place to ensure AI systems are accountable, and remedies must be in place to fix problems when they’re not.
• Safety and Security — AI systems should perform as intended and be secure from compromise.
• Transparency and Explainability — AI systems should be designed and implemented to allow oversight.
• Fairness and Nondiscrimination — AI systems should be designed to maximize fairness and inclusivity.
• Human Control of Technology — Important decisions should remain under human review.
• Professional Responsibility — Developers of AI systems should make sure to consult all stakeholders in the system and plan for long-term effects.
• Promotion of Human Values — The ends to which AI is devoted and the means by which it is implemented should promote humanity’s well being.”
Image: Adobe stock