- “12½ trillion hours spent online, a new milestone in internet adoption, and new records for social media use
- Global population: The world’s population stands at 7.91 billion in January 2022
- Global mobile users: More than two-thirds (67.1 percent) of the world’s population now uses a mobile phone, with unique users reaching 5.31 billion by the start of 2022.
- Global social media users: There are 4.62 billion social media users around the world in January 2022. This figure is equal to 58.4 percent of the world’s total population
- App Annie reports that TikTok was the most-downloaded mobile app in 2021, and the platform continues to enjoy strong growth in ad reach too
- Research from GWI reveals that the “typical” global internet user now spends almost 7 hours per day using the internet across all devices.
- Search engines are still the top source of new brand discovery for the world’s internet users though, with 31.7 percent of GWI’s sample saying that they’ve learned about new brands via an online search.
- Data from GWI shows that nearly 6 in 10 working-age internet users (58.4 percent) now buy something online every week, with that figure continuing to rise throughout 2021.
- Statista’s data also reveals that the world’s ecommerce shoppers now spend an average of more than USD $1,000 per person, per year on online consumer goods purchases.
- Average revenue per user (ARPU) for online consumer goods purchases now exceeds USD $3,000 per year in Hong Kong and the United States”