- “The internet giant has over the years sunk billions of dollars into areas from language learning to voice interaction and autonomous driving, betting on smart devices and vehicles of the future. Now, aided by years of investment and Beijing’s bid to build smart nationwide infrastructure, these efforts are finally paying off.
- Sales last quarter rose 4.8%, the fastest pace in 2020, fueled by a 52% increase in its non-advertising businesses like AI cloud.”
- “Natural language comprehension. And in the last year and a half, it’s where Baidu has made the biggest progress, as its system, ERNIE (short for Enhanced Representation through kNowledge Integration), is presently the best in the world by GLUE (General Language Understanding Evaluation) score.
- Earlier this year, Baidu had the surprise distinction of shaking up the GLUE leaderboard by knocking off perennial leaders Google and Microsoft with ERNIE. Out of a full score of 100, Baidu is now the first team to surpass 90 with its ERNIE. By comparison, the average human being scores an 87.”
“The secret to stopping the deadly coronavirus is hidden in its genome. Epidemiologists in China are currently racing to develop a vaccine and other treatments for the novel coronavirus, which has already killed at least 170 people and infected thousands. China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said researchers isolated virus strains for vaccine development, according to a report from state media last week. Similar efforts have been going on in Australia, where scientists have recreated the virus and shared the genome sequence.”
- “Robin Li, Co-founder and CEO of Chinese search engine company Baidu, believes that artificial intelligence will pare human dependence on mobile phones as a combination of sensor-driven infrastructure and advanced programming will create an environment of voice-and-visual dominated interface, reducing the need to use mobile devices.
- ‘Video is becoming the main form of content. We used to see text; then more and more images on the Internet. Today, video is the most important form of content on the internet. People’s mindsets are also changing– changing toward video content.'”
Co-founder and CEO of Baidu
- “Chinese tech giant Baidu has unseated Google for No. 2 in the smart speaker market worldwide, according to research firm Canalys. Baidu, which makes speakers that it sells only in China, had a 17.3% market share of shipments in the second quarter, ahead of Google, which had a 16.7% share.
- Overall, smart speaker shipments grew 55% in the second quarter compared with the same quarter a year earlier. Manufacturers shipped over 26 million of them during that time versus 16.8 million in the year-ago quarter.”