“This comes as Facebook works towards a full launch of Facebook and Instagram Shops, which will make it easier for retailers to sell products direct on two of the most used social apps in the world. Facebook is still ironing out the details, but Facebook Shops could be a transformative move for the platform, and for digital commerce more broadly.”
“While only a small portion of ecommerce sales come from social channels, consumer adoption has grown in the past year. We expect that more than 75 million US social network users ages 14 and older will make at least one purchase from a social channel in 2020, up 17.3% from 2019.”
- “Facebook today announced improvements to the shopping experiences across its platform, including Facebook Shops, a new way for businesses to set up a single online store
- The company characterized the new products — all of which are powered by a family of new AI and machine learning system — as a step toward its vision of an all-in-one AI assistant
- Rather than manually annotate each image with product identifiers, which would have taken ages — there are 3 million possible identifiers — Facebook developed a technique to automatically generate additional identifiers using GrokNet“
“Of the 9.6 million posts removed in the first quarter, Facebook said its software detected 88.8 percent before users reported them. That indicates algorithms flagged 8.5 million posts for hate speech in the quarter, up 86 percent from the previous quarter’s total of 4.6 million.”
PHOTOGRAPH: DIMITRI OTIS/GETTY IMAGES
- “SimCity: In response, Facebook built a scaled-down version of its platform to simulate user behavior. Called WW, it helps engineers identify and fix the undesired consequences of new updates before they’re deployed.
- Bot doppelgangers: Facebook simulates hundreds to thousands of its users at a time with a mix of hard-coded and machine-learning-based bots.
- Automatic design: While the scenarios play out, the system automatically adjusts different parameters in the simulation, such as the bots’ privacy settings or the constraints on their actions.
- Hidden from view: In order to create as realistic a simulation as possible, WW is actually built directly on the live platform rather than a separate testing version”