- “Offering buyers the ability to look for similar or exact items using images instead of text has become fairly standard in the industry, but launching the feature in 2017 was a big deal
- ‘First, we did our training separately,’ he explained. ‘We trained the models on the public cloud, where we could access [graphic processing units]. Then we did the inference and deployment locally.’
- The question should never be what new technology can be adopted, but what customer problems can be solved, Mekel-Bobrov said.
- The ecommerce giant is now ‘turbocharging’ its platform to make computer vision an integral part of the experience for both buyers and sellers, Mekel-Bobrov said.”
- “In 2016, along came a fledgling software company called Phrasee–the pioneer of AI-powered copywriting. Phrasee’s computational linguists constructed eBay’s bespoke language models which, in just five minutes, produced human-sounding copy at scale that was tailored to eBay’s plans, promotions and brand voice.
- In the US, eBay has enjoyed a 15.8% average open rate uplift and a 31.2% average click rate uplift, providing a consistent ROI on all campaigns.”
“eBay recognized that it had to bring together people who were distributed globally, first and foremost, and then set them up for success. ‘You have to provide the right tools, the right forum, the right practices, the right mechanics to bring these ideas together. It’s not only about code, but it’s about collaboration. It’s about agile practices,'”
“What happens when over 3,000 employees globally spend a week innovating and reimagining the eBay experience? Magic. This is the word eBay’s Director of Innovation Programs, Nousheen Eslambolchi, uses to describe Hack Week — eBay’s annual week-long program aimed to cultivate new ideas and disrupt ecommerce.”
- “Chief Architect and Vice President of eBay AI and Platforms Sanjeev Katariya said AI is woven into all aspects of its platform and touches every experience within eBay.
- “We have over two decades of data and customer insights that we use to train our algorithms and make our AI smarter,” Katariya said. “Every time a user interacts with the marketplace, the AI learns and provides feedback so we can create a better experience.The advances have been accelerated by developments in deep learning that allows us — and others — to make longer strides in how we process data.”
- Of particular interest to sellers: eBay is using artificial intelligence in search, personalization, recommendation systems, and insights and discovery – as well as computer vision, machine translation, and natural language processing.
- “AI has become the key to understanding buyer behavior and removing friction to ensure we’re serving up the best experiences,” Katariya said.”